top of page


In 1957 local parents were interested in forming a soccer club and so began the history of Ermington Sport. Ermington soccer was the brain child of four men - George Mannix, Bill Murphy, Fred Dixon and Ted Turner.

Ermington Soccer initially used Cowells Lane and George Kendall  Reserve which in those days consisted of one field adjacant to the rubbish tip!

In 1960, Betty Mannix recalls an interesting club fund-raiser at her home. Numbers were expected to be around 60-80 people; however to Bett's recollection, nearly half the population of Ermington attended - and police had to close off Spofforth Street to control numbers!!

By 1961, it was decided that numbers and interests were increasing to such an extent, that additional sports needed to be represented, so a sports and Recreation Club was initiated.

The first AGM was held on Australia Day, 26th January, 1961. Meetings of our original club were held in the garages of our founding members, as no club-house was available. The constitution was a few years coming and was finally ratified by the founding members in March 1965.

Foundation members of the Ermington United Sports and Recreation Club were:

  • Audrey Paul;

  • Pat Graham;

  • Annette West;

  • Bill Williams;

  • Fred Dixon;

  • Tom Turner;

  • Bill Murphy;

  • Alex Herkiss;

  • Tom Gaunt;

  • George Mannix;

  • Greg Bell;

  • Mr Robinson; and

  • Mr Ravoul.

bottom of page